Saturday, October 04, 2003

Rebeginning

1. Can't believe I'm doing this again. A journal for the n-th time. How can somebody keeps writing a journal -- diary, as sometimes they call it -- every single day? I have tried and have failed so many times. And now, I'm starting a new one again?

2. Had an interesting discussion last night. On religions. Somebody argued that all religions are the same. I disagreed. I said no two religions are the same, because "same-ness" implies perfect substitutability. And therefore an individual can switch between two religions anytime while still in the same level of utility. I asked him if he is willing to substitute his religion with another. He said no. Why? Because he prefers his religion to any other. So, I said, religions are therefore not the same. Except for an atheist, who is of course indifferent when offered a religions-only set, but strictly prefers no-religion to any religion when the former is added to that choice set.

3. Just listened to Rev. Jesse Jackson's speech delivered two days ago (was it to a Dems' conference?). Nice, carefully worded speech. He closed it with: "...all people are precious in God's eye". Hm, actually, Mr. Jackson, even God has preference.

4. Oh, it's October already (and the 4th, for crying outloud!). Hey, I am supposed to run another series of Spearman correlation tests, am I not?