Friday, October 17, 2003

.
1. I don't give a damn to football. And I know little about baseball. But on the latter, this whole Chicago Cubs fans' and media's scorning on this guy named Steve Bartman is driving me nuts. What's wrong with you people? When you lose, you lose. Why blame it on somebody else? Here's the story.

After a really long, long period of wait, the baseball team Chicago Cubs finally made it to the NL Championship Series, after beating Atlanta. Next target: World Series. But first, has to beat Florida Marlins to become the NL Champion.

In the Game 6 at Wrigley Field, Chicago, with standing score of 3-2 for the Cubs, the Marlins' Luis Castillo hit the ball very hard. The Cubs' Moises Alou tried to get the ball, making a leaping catch at the wall. And entered Steve Bartman, a 26-year old Cubs fanatic. He catched that "foul" ball from his supporter paid seat. This is normal, I see it on TV so many times: anyone would have done that. And, mind you, Steve is no Fantastic Four's Reed Richards who can elongate and extend his body elastically!

Now, the umpires didn't call it "fan interference" -- they ruled the ball was not in the field of play. The Marlins then won the game 8-3, made the score 3-3 and forced a seventh, deciding game. Instantly, most Chicago fans, newsmedia, players, manager, and even the Illinois governor blamed Steve for that loss. WHY? Do you think, if he didn't manage to catch it, you would have won? You guys just need some scapegoat. Yesterday the Marlins finally beat the Cubs 9-6. And of course, more curse on poor Steve. My full sympathy for him. He, infact, has posted an apology (which I don't think he needed to):

"...I've been a Cub fan all my life and fully understand the relationship between my actions and the outcome of the game. I had my eyes glued on the approaching ball the entire time and was so caught up in the moment that I did not even see Moises Alou, much less that he may have had a play. Had I thought for one second that the ball was playable or had I seen Alou approaching I would have done whatever I could to get out of the way and give Alou a chance to make the catch. To Moises Alou, the Chicago Cubs organization, Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, and Cub fans everywhere I am so truly sorry from the bottom of this Cubs fan's broken heart. I ask that Cub fans everywhere redirect the negative energy that has been vented towards my family, my friends, and myself into the usual positive support for our beloved team on their way to being National League champs"

Poor Steve. And shame on those who blame him. Double shame on Chicago Sun-Times who committed a cheap journalism by revealing Steve's identity, giving access to many Cubs idiot fans. Double shame on Governor Blagojevich who alluded that Steve "did something stupid". No, make it triple, since he also said "I hope he made it home, but I'm angry at the guy". Rod, it's baseball, stupid!

No comments: