Sunday, October 19, 2003

.
1. I'm a fan of Wynton Marsalis. But not too big. Maybe I like Branford more. Wynton is sometimes too "political". As far as the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra is concerned, WM and his friend, Stanley Crouch, that famous jazz critic, have been known as being very discriminative. Rumor has it, some jazzists can never reach up to the surface if they don't make friends with Wynton and his gang. And Wynton is everywhere: Ken Burn's PBS documentaries, Jazz for Kids shows, etc. I enjoyed Wynton's performance last year here at the Krannert Center. But something keeps telling me: this guy is "dangerous".
So, yes, I like Branford Marsalis more. He's cool, and he maintains a very low profile (while everybody knows, he's one of the today's sax giants). He doesn't discriminate: he plays with Sting, but it doesn't undermine his jazz authority. And he plays Satie perfectly!
I am writing this as I am listening to James Carter's "Chasin' the Gypsy". I am asking myself: Why is this guy somehow underrated? Is it because he's outside the Wynton's network? Listen to this CD, and you will understand what I am saying. He brings back Django Reinhardt -- now thru bass saxophone. This CD is amazing. Featured violinist, Regina Carter (a sibling?) also plays fantastically. I have listened to the other CD, "Layin' in the Cut", released at the same time with CtG. It's really different, but equally yummy! CtG is fully acoustic, while LitC is plugged. I usually don't like electrical/plugged, but LitC might change my mind. I've heard Carter has had jam sessions with post-Coltrane soldiers: Buddy Tate and the likes -- those whom Wynton "prohibits" to play at Lincoln, ironically. I will buy that CD.

No comments: