Wednesday, December 10, 2003


1. Media today center on the death of US Senator from Illinois Paul Simon. I heard he's a great guy. But I have no idea about his political life (nor do I know of general politics). Pity my ignorance, to hear everybody talks about him: NPR, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Sun Times -- all headlines. This gentleman was something, at least I can conclude. If my quick skimming on the Tribune this morning was accurate, he happened to run for presidency. Also, back in Reagan's USA, Democrats were beaten everywhere, except Senator Simon from Illinois.

2. While I have to admit, my grief this morning goes more toward Record Service. This is a local music store on Green Street. It is closing as an inevitable response to coming bankruptcy, today's Daily Illini reports. I remember, every once and a while, I go there. Not necessarily to buy CDs (student, student!). Just browsing around, updating myself with recent releases, or simply to check if somebody is crazy enough to sell his/her used Duke Ellington or Sidney Bechet (in which case, I woudn't think twice to forego a take-out dinner), is more than enough to balance out the torture from some econometrics. Or, sometimes, as I pretend that I can enjoy classical music, too, as I do with jazz, I go there, and proceed to the second floor: Figaro -- its classical music separate section.
Now they're closing. They can't compete with the Internet.... I checked my membership card in my wallet: soon this will become a memorabilia....

No comments: