Saturday, December 06, 2003


1. There is this small neat restaurant at the corner of Fourth and University. It sells Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese food. Prices are reasonable, food is delicious. And what I like the most is, all the food come in real, decent serving dishes. (I hate eating in a Chinese restaurant where, when I order "big meal" like fish, it comes in that soft, styrofoam "plate", or even worse: paper plate). This restaurant is recommended, both in terms of food served an in the way it serves its customers. Not to mention the clean and convenient room.

But it had been closed for more than a week. What happened? I had been coming there several times only to meet the same notice on the door: "Closed". Luckily, today it's finally open. I went there this afternoon. The nice lady who co-owns the restaurant and also serves as one of the cooks looked so sad. I asked the waitress what had happened that made them closed for many days. And she told me this sad story. The husband of the sad lady is in the hospital. He was hit on the head by a drunkard some night. Really hard, he now can not retrieve a single memory. Poor man. This is the same nice man who always offered me fried eggs, sunny side-up with two eyes, whenever I asked for combo fried rice. Now he is lying in the hospital not able to remember anything. God, please let him have his memory back. If all is too much, at least the good ones: about his wife and his cute little girl.

2. As usual, stopped by Espresso Royale to buy a cup of coffee. And as usual, looked up to today's coffee list. Two kinds served: Peruvian and Sumatran. Funny thing is, they wrote: "Frank Sumatra". I like the humor. I told the waitress, I am from (the country where) Sumatra (is). She stamped my club card twice.

No comments: