Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Selfish Labor

No, there's nothing wrong with being selfish.

But calling your selfish act as social in the name of the people is dishonest and misleading. I'm talking about workers that protest the revision of Indonesian 2003 Labor Law. Central in their rallies is the fallacy that protecting their rights is good for the whole country. I say bull. It's good for them employed workers only. (And that means just those working in the formal sector). It's obviously a barrier to informal workers and unemployment in general. There's nothing wrong with negotiation. But don't lie. If you are protecting 30 percent of the people at the expense of the other 70 percent, don't say you're protecting everybody.

Revise that law. Now.

Update: Rasyad A. Parinduri says it better.

No comments: