Wednesday, June 01, 2005

NR&Env Econ Exam

Technical Note: A friend who uses Internet Explorer told me that this post had weird notation. It was meant to be a footnote. I work with Mozilla Firefox and I don't see weird stuff coming out from my footnote numbering. But, as many of you still use IE, I now have "fixed" the problem by changing the number into an asterisk. My suggestion, however, STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! GET MOZILLA!

The Natural Resource and Environment Economics, final exam last week. This is somewhat a watered-down version of the mid-term --which turned out not to be very rewarding.

  1. What do we mean by efficient allocation of scarce water? Do you think we in Indonesia have allocated the water efficiently? Why? Do you have suggestion on how we should manage water use in Indonesia?
  1. What do you think of the “Global Scarcity Hypothesis”? Does it make sense? Why or why not?
  1. Should we privatize our forests? Why or why not? (For either case, please provide an economic argument, not a romantic one *).
  1. Explain again, why maximum sustainable yield can be a bad target for fish catching if the objective is to conserve the fish?
  1. Give me one reason why the government should intervene in supplying water. Elaborate on that. If you don’t think there is any single reason, argue.
*) Though, I’m not saying economics/economist can not be romantic!

No comments: